Friday, May 24, 2013

Avocado Gazpacho 2 ways


It's been a while!  We're back from Colorado and getting back into our routines.  I made a great Tilapia dish on Monday but I totally forgot to take pictures!  I'll just have to make it again.
It's hot and muggy here so The Husband and I wanted something light, cool and refreshing.  He suggested Gazpacho. 

I had never made gazpacho before so I started with a little research.  I found a few recipes that I liked, and decided to try this one from Manifest Vegan, and then make up one of my own, based on a guacamole recipe.  I had a pretty good idea in my head what I'd be using for the soup, but not the quantities.  I put more in the picture than I actually ended up using.  There's two avocados in each picture, but only two total ended up being ripe enough so there's only one avocado per soup.   I knew I'd end up using much less lime than I have pictured, i just wasn't sure how much less.  I only used half a lime per soup!  So here's what I did:

 Cucumber Basil Avocado Gazpacho:
2 Cucumbers
2 Handfulls Basil
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Avocado
1 Green Onion (green and white parts)
1/2 Lime, peeled

 Guacamole Gazpacho:
2 Large Tomatoes
1 Handfull Cilantro
1 Jalapeno Pepper, seeds removed
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Avocado
1 Green Onion (green and white parts)
1/2 Lime, peeled

I literally put all of the ingredients into my blender at once and just blended until smooth.  The only "prep work" I did was cut the ends off the scallions, peel the lime, seed the jalapeno and remove the flesh and seeds from the avocados.  I have a VitaMix so it made everything into a creamy smooth puree!

I did follow the instructions on Menifest Vegan site to chill the ingredients before and after blending.  The soup came out very creamy thanks to the avocado and it was a nice cool meal on a very humid night. We enjoyed the soups out on the deck while talking about the fun we had in Denver.  We can't wait to go back!














Here's a picture of The Husband and me with our friends at our camp on Longs Peak.  It was a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment