Thursday, October 24, 2013

Garlicy Flounder Sandwich

 I could NOT wait to share this one with you!  It's the best sandwich I've ever had!  You MUST make this!!  Even if you're not a fish person, try this with thin strips of chicken or slices of London Broil.  This is TOO good to pass up!  Can you tell I'm excited?

I started by roasting a bulb of garlic.  I sliced the top off of a bulb, placed it over foil and drizzled olive oil over the top. 

I added the wrapped garlic to a oven safe bowl to be sure the oil didn't drip in the oven if the foil didn't hold.  I roasted it for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.  Once it's done you can just squeeze the garlic out one by one.  This can be done a few days ahead of time. 


I then made a basil Aoili with:
2-3 Cloves garlic
1/2 - 3/4 tsp Salt
About 6 leaves Basil
1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Cup Mayonnaise


Mash the garlic and salt together with a fork or mortal and pestel.  Once you form a paste add the basil and blend well.  Add the lemon juice and mix together.


Add everything to the mayonnaise and place in the fridge until you're done with the rest of the meal.  This can be done a few days ahead of time.  


The rest of my ingredients were:
2 baby Leaks
2 Flounder Filets
1/2 cup or more of Flour
2 Whole Wheat Rolls
Butter
Tomato
Basil Salt (I follow this recipe)
2-4 Roasted Garlic Cloves


Slice the baby leaks in half and rinse under water.  Heat a mixture of butter and oil in a pan and add the leaks.    


 Once they are crispy, transfer them to a plate.  I don't have any pictures of me cooking the fish, but salt each side of the filet and lightly flour them.  Fry in the same pan you made the leaks in.


While the fish is cooking slice the rolls and spread butter and mashed roasted garlic on each side.


Bake bread for a few minutes until butter is melted and edges are browned.  


Spread Aoili on bread.  Use your judgement on how much to add!


Top with Flounder


Top with Leaks... omg this smelled so good!


Top with Tomato 
(fun fact, I sprinkled the rest of the tomato with the left over basil salt and ate it like an apple)


Top with the other half of the bread


OMG I want to eat this every night!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment