Monday, March 11, 2013

Cumin Tilapia over Guacamole Salad

The Husband and I went to my friends house for her birthday this weekend.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHANNON! I quickly whipped together a Tilapia salad to bring with us and it was delicious!  I knew I had the fixins for guacamole at home so I decided to make the salad with a little Mexican flavor to it.  I decided to use Tilapia because my friend has an allergy to iodine in seafood and can only eat fresh water fish but you could easily substitute shrimp for the fish here.  It would be equally amazing. 


Lets start with the Tilapia:
3 large Tilapia filets (about 1.5lbs)
1/2 cup Flour
2 tsp Cumin
Salt and Pepper
2 Tbsp Olive Oil for frying

Sprinkle the Tilapia with salt, pepper and 1 tsp cumin.  Add the other tsp of cumin to the flour and place in a shallow dish.  Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan over medium heat. 


Lightly coat the Tilapia with flour.  Shake off any exess.


Fry Tilapia in oil for a few minutes on each side until it flakes with a fork.  Try not to eat it all before you add it to the salad.  Just look at that yummy crispiness!  Once cooked through, remove fish from pan and place on a paper towel on a clean plate. 


Break the Tilapia into bite size pieces and set aside.  

Now onto the Guacamole topping:
3 Plum Tomatoes
2 Avocados
2 Jalapenos
Juice from 1/4 Lime

Dice the tomatoes, jalapenos and avocado.  You can keep the dice fairly large.   

 

Add everything to a bowl, squeeze lime juice over the top and mix.  You could mash the avocado and make this more of a guacamole, but I wanted to keep it chunky like a pico de gallo.


Cilantro Lime Dressing:
3-5 Cloves Garlic
1/2 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Cilantro ruffly chopped
Juice from 1/2 a Lime
1/4 cup Vinegar
1/2 cup Oil 

Grind Garlic, Salt and Cilantro with a mortar and pestle into a paste. 


Since I was making more than I normally do, my oil and vinegar didn't exactly fit in my little mortar so I added the vinegar and lime juice to the garlic cilantro mixture and stirred it a bit, then I added everything to my tupperware container and shook it till it was all mixed together. 


I packaged everything up and headed to Shannons.  To assemble the salad, I added a large box of greens to a salad bowl and spooned half of the guacamole topping over it.  Then I sprinkled half of a bag of monteray jack cheese over the topping and half of the Tilapia over the cheese.  Lastly, I poured half of the dressing over everything and served. 


This was so easy to make and healthy too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment