Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Mexican Quinoa

Quinoa is a yummy versatile food.  It had a lot of protein and fiber to keep you fuller longer.  It's a great addition to any diet, not just a vegetarian one.  I used to be hesitant to use it because I thought it was hard to cook.  Boy was I wrong!  This recipe would be a great side at a neighborhood picnic or even for lunch all by it's self. 


Ingredients:
2 Cups Uncooked Quinoa
4 Plum Tomatoes
1 Cup Black Beans
1 Jalapeno
8.5oz can Corn (no salt added)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Juice from 1/2 of a Lime
1 Tbsp Cilantro, Chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

I wanted to add an avocado to this but I totally forgot!  Now there's an unused avocado sitting on my window sill mocking me.  I'll just have to use it in a different recipe this week, maybe an Ahi Tuna Salad!

Back to the Quinoa... There are a few different ways to cook it, so try experimenting with toasting it first, using broth instead of water or measuring the water and cooking it more like rice instead of pasta.  I like this method because it doesn't require me to be exact with the water and it does get over cooked.  SO SIMPLE!

Start off by washing the quinoa a few times.  I just put it in my sauce pan, add water and switch it around a little.  I strain it and repeat one or two more times.  Next, put the quinoa in the sauce pan, add water and a pinch of salt. Bring the quinoa to a boil and let it cook for about 10 minutes.  


Then drain the quinoa in a sieve, add about an inch of water back to the pot and put the sieve with the quinoa in it, over the water.  Cover with a clean towel, place the lid over the top and let steam, simmer on low for about 10 minutes.  Make sure to fold the corners of the towel over if they get too close to your heating element or flame!!!


While that's cooking, chop your tomatoes, jalapeno and cilantro.  If you're adding avocado (which I HIGHLY recommend) chop that too!


Add all of the ingredients to a bowl, mix thoroughly and salt/pepper to taste.  Try not to devour the whole bowl while "tasting".  


I love the satisfying crunch of the fresh tomatoes and jalapenos combined with the tangy lime juice and texture of the quinoa.  Everything comes together nicely!  This is good room temperature or cold the next day.  DIG IN!

No comments:

Post a Comment