Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Falafel Burger

Even though I don't want a piece of chicken anymore, I still want to make some of my old recipes that center around chicken breast.  I was planning on making a recipe for a veggie "chicken breast" when the Husband and I stopped into Wegmans.  They had a really good Chickpea Slider that I wanted to try and replicate.  I couldn't pin point all of the flavors from the small sample, but I had an idea of what I wanted to do.  I'm still going to make a faux chicken patty, but today we're having a Falafel Burger!

 Ingredients:
1 15.5oz can of Chickpeas
2 Cloves of Garlic (more or less to taste)
1 Tbsp Sunflower Seeds
1 Tbsp Parsley
1 Egg
1 Carrot
3 Tbsp Oats (or flour)
2 tsp Sesame Seeds
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Dill
1/2 tsp Ground Coriander

This is where it gets complicated... ready? Pay attention...

Throw it all in a blender until pureed.

Done.

 Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan ( I used toasted sesame seed oil OMG SO GOOD!).  Once the oil is hot, spoon about a quarter of the mixture out of the blender into the pan and flatten it with the back of a spoon.  Repeat with another quarter of the mixture.


 After a few minutes (maybe 3? or 5?) on medium high heat, flip the burger over to reveal the golden crispiness on the other side.  I wish I had better lighting in my kitchen!!!


I whipped up a quick Tzatziki sauce to go with these. 


8oz Plain Greek Yogurt
1 Clove of Garlic (add more to taste)
1 Tbsp Dill
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Juice of 1/4 Lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste
I really should have added a cucumber and combined it all in the blender but I didn't want to clean the blender again... :) yes, I'm lazy.

I added everything together in a tupperware container and grated the garlic using my microplane zester.

The Husband wanted his burger on a Kaiser roll and I wanted mine in a pita either way it was DELICIOUS!  I spread a bit of sauce on the bread, topped with a few slices of cucumber and tomato and then added the burger to the top.  I'll be making more veggie burgers now that the weather is getting warmer and everyone is eating beef burgers!  Stay Tuned!





No comments:

Post a Comment