Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Quick Meal - Grilled Shrimp with Rice and Grilled Zucchini

Now that its getting nicer out, I decided it was time to start using my grill!  So for a Quick Dinner idea, I wanted to whip up a quick marinade for some shrimp skewers!

Here's what I had around the house:


About 12 Shrimp
1/2 an Orange,
1 tsp Honey
1 1/2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Small piece of Ginger
1 tsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Ground Corriander Seed (optional)
1 Zucchini
Salt and Pepper to taste

I forgot to add the Soy Sauce to the picture!  I always have low sodium soy sauce in the house.  The regular stuff is SO SALTY!


I ran 1 piece of garlic and the ginger over our microplane zester.  It makes almost a paste out of the garlic and ginger which is easier to mix into a marinade. 

 I lightly salt and peppered everything and let it sit while I heated the grill, cut the zucchini and got the rice started. 


I added the oil, corriander and last garlic clove to my rice cooker and turned it on.  I like to get everything cooking a bit first before I add the rice.  The corriander adds a bit of extra flavor to the rice that I really like.  Feel free to leave it out!


I then add the rice for a bit and stir it around in the oil and seasoning before adding the water.  I really love having my rice cooker (which doubles as a steamer).  It makes perfect rice every time, and I don't have to watch over the stove!


Once I got the rice started, I added my zucchini to my skewers and placed it on the grill. 


I love having my Misto for times like this.  A quick spray on each side of the zucchini made sure it didn't stick to the grill.


I went back inside and started adding my shrimp to the skewers.  After a few minutes, I flipped the zucchini and added the shrimp to the grill. 


Next time I'll make two veggie skewers per person since the portions.  But everything was delicious!  I love cooking on the grill! 



No comments:

Post a Comment